Posted by Hafed | Posted in Forms, oracle | Posted on 16-10-2008
Finally, we were able to solve the Arial Italic and Bold problems. Using Metalink Note 261879.1, it was relatively straightforward to add the font.
The steps to follow are:
1) Transfer the Arial fonts (ttf version) from Windows to UNIX. Make note of this directory.
2) Use the open source program ttf2afm to generate Adobe Font Metrics (AFM) files for TrueType (TTF) fonts.
3) Modify reports_path to add the fonts directory.
4) Make sure the AFM file for the italic version does not have the (-) sign for the slant angle.
5) Update the ALI file to add the Arial font in [PDF] section. Check the version of the ALI file mentionned in the Metalink Note 261879.1
6) Restart the reports server.
These steps can be used for any font that you want to add to your reports server setup.
Posted by Hafed | Posted in Forms, oracle | Posted on 09-10-2008
One of the more frustating experience you can have when migrating to Oracle Forms 10g is the fonts problem.
In Oracle Forms 6i, users are generally standardized on Windows and in this way, they have access to the usual fonts such as Arial, Times Roman, Courrier and Courrier New. When printing reports, either direct or through a PDF, the same fonts are used as is and the output is a true copy of the rdf.
However, on 10g and if the server is UNIX-based, then a whole number of issues will arise. The first one is due to the fact that the usual Windows fonts are no longer available on UNIX. Second, the fonts on UNIX are quite limited and in this case fonts such as Arial are outputted as Helvetica (in reports server terminology, this is refered to as subsetting, embedding etc.).
Now, if you really want to have the same fonts you have in your RDF, then you need to install those fonts on UNIX. This is where it becomes quite nightmarish. In our case, we were able to get either Arial bold or Arial Italic but not both at the same time, at least for the time being.
To solve this font problem, We are following these Metalink notes:
NOTE:261879.1 Configuration Script to add Common Windows Fonts to Unix 9i, 10g R1 and 10g R2 Reports Server
NOTE:272063.1 Using Reports PDF Subsetting, Font Size and Styles Bold, Italic, Bold-Italic Are Ignored
NOTE:419045.1 Italics are Reversed and No Bolding of Arial Font on Sun 64-bit